Wednesday, 10 July 2013

Update of the Past NEWS.......... 4th July 1874

Catch up on the full story of last weeks NEWS.............
*Reverend Walker –

The death of the Reverend Walker was incorrectly published as his initials “J H” should be “T H” – Thomas Harrison Walker.

Thomas was born at Hecknondwike in Yorkshire around 1878.

He was a Wesleyan Minister and we can see from census returns that he travelled around the country for his calling.

In 1851 Thomas is aged 62 years old and he and his wife Sarah were living at Union Street, Horncastle.  They have a servant lady named Ann Wilson who was from Dronfield, Derbyshire. 

Ten years on and in 1861 Thomas is now living in Chesterfield at Saltergate.  Sadly Thomas is now a widower as Sarah had passed away.  

Obviously not one to sit about in 1871 and aged 81 years old Thomas had moved home again.  Now he is living at Chorlton On Medlock near Manchester, still recorded as a Wesleyan Minister.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ X ~ ~ ~  ~ ~

*Albert Bone –

Young Albert sadly appeared in this week’s deaths as he passed away aged only 5 years old on 30th June 1874.

He was born in 1869 at North Waltham, the son of Henry and Lucy Bone.  On the 1871 census Albert and his family are still living at North Waltham in Hampshire.  He has 3 elder siblings; George, Daniel and Mary and a younger brother 7 month old Walter.  Henry is an agricultural labourer and so it would appear that he brought his family to Derbyshire in order to find work.

Things didn’t get much better for Albert’s mother as a few years later in 1878 she lost her husband Henry, his death is registered in the Worksop Registration District.

In 1881 Lucy is living in the village of Clowne in between Chesterfield and Worksop.  She is only 41 years old but is a widow with 4 children; Henry, Daniel, Mary and Lucy.  Little Lucy is only 3 years old so she may well have been born just after the death of her father, poor Lucy snr would have been heavily pregnant at the time of her husband’s death.
An article in the Derbyshire Times dated 21st September 1878 p.6 tells us how Henry met his young untimely death.  He was working for Staveley Coal and Iron Company at Barlborough Colliery when he was “hanging-on” at an incline.  He was “accidently crushed between a colliery waggon and a post” on 21st August.  He received serious injuries but did appear to be getting better until his situation worsened and he died from his injuries.  The inquest was heard at the Angel Hotel, Clowne.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ X ~ ~ ~  ~ ~


No comments:

Post a Comment