Saturday, 22 September 2012

Echoes of our past News...... 21st September 1895

Echoes of our past….. Past News

21st September 1895
Main news -

*Fireman’s head almost severed from his body...

On Wednesday morning an engine fireman name John Smith was fatally injured as he was raking the ashes from the locomotive engine as it was standing close to Maynard’s Meadow.  The engine did have its break on, but was standing on a slight incline.

It appears that the driver was absent at the time, but two other men were filing the bunkers with coal from a wagon which was alongside the engine.  A piece of the coal flew into the air, landing onto the break which was then released.  The engine was then free and moved forwards, knocking over John Smith.

The injuries were described as follows “almost decapitated him, the wheel catching him on the top of the head and running down across the neck and down the shoulder, practically detaching the arm from the body”.  John was found be dead when attended and his body was removed to the White Horse Inn.

The inquest was held on Thursday 19th September at the mortuary, the Cemetery, Chesterfield.  John Smith of Duckmanton a walking ganger on the East to West Railway confirmed that this was his son.  He told that John was 14 years old and had worked for the railway for about 10 months; he was a fireman on the tipping engines. 

The driver George Lambert of Calow Huts said he had worked alongside John for five or six months and had found the lad understood his duties.  He confirmed that the incident happened at about 11.08 on the Wednesday morning and at the time he was on the embankment getting his breakfast.  He had given John his instructions, but these did not include having to rake out the cokes. 

Great attention was made to the condition of the break and the Coroner suggested that a chain should be placed on them in future to prevent this happening again.  George Lambert was questioned in great detail about his service, he had been a driver since 1880 and had many years experience on the tipping system.

After listening to the witness Henry Coombs of Marsden Place, Newbold Road, a rope runner the Jury returned the verdict of “accidental death”

*Walton Water Supply.

At the Walton and Brampton Council meeting a letter was read from a Mr Humble of Walton.  He was making comment on the dreadful state of the water supply for the farmers, cottagers and other residents of the Walton area.  The villagers of Walton depended on their water from a spring located at Stonedge Hill.  The spring water was collected in a zinc tank about 18 inches square which was provided by the Council as a reservoir.  It did have a lid, but apparently this was often left open.  The issue was the condition of the water within the reservoir; all passersby would use the water.  Mr Humble described the uses including; a watering hole for horses and cattle, butchers for washing their carts and blood covered buckets.  This water was then expected to be used by the inhabitants of Walton as drinking water.  Mr Humble went on to state that he had a small well in his garden which at the time of writing was only one foot deep, he used this water for washing.  He had sunk another in the field opposite his house also, but when the inspector Mr Allen from Sheffield analysed the water both were condemned for use.  The response from the Council members was not favourable; they decided that there was nothing to be done until further consideration from Chesterfield Water Company was obtained.  The Chairman commented that “he doubted whether Walton was worse off than they were in the town” and Mr John Riggott, replied “I don’t think they are as bad. The bottom reservoir is empty and they are not cleaning it out”.  Chairman “there must be a great deal of sediment in it” Mr Riggott “enough to keep the fish alive” (laughter) Chairman wanted the situation to be remedied as the water would be muddy, Mr Riggott replied “They don’t need any soap at Chesterfield now I should think” (laughter).

*Clay Cross Petty Sessions, Wednesday 18th September –

·         Joseph Bramley, collier aged 30 was charged as being drunk and disorderly in Clay Lane on the 8th September.  Fined 5s and costs or 14 days.

·         William Cutts of New-market, Clay Cross was charged with assaulting Daniel Wardle.  Fined 10s 6d including costs.

*The tragic death of a young miner William Marsden at No2 pit, Renishaw Park Colliery.  In the early hours of Wednesday 18th September the roof collapsed on to William causing almost instant death by breaking his neck.  William had a wife and three children.

*Two men were charged with breach of the Swine Fever Regulations –

William Coupe had bought four pig’s from Mr White at Grassmoor and had taken three only to return on 21st August for the final pig, which he removed.  Mr White was not available on this day and so William Coupe stated that he was unaware that since taking the first three pigs Mr White’s pig’s now had swine fever.  Mr Coupe was ordered to pay the costs of the case as he did not have a licence for removing the pigs.

Matthew Wright was summoned for allowing a pig to be removed from his farm at Palterton by Robert Hallam without a licence.  Matthew Wright was ordered to pay 2s 6d and costs and Robert Hallam the costs only.

*Jane Goodwin of Lordsmill Street was chastised by the Mayor of Chesterfield for “brutally and wilfully exposed her infant child in a manner likely to cause injury to its health”.  She was found lying in a garden near Bowers Place and Browns Yard asleep, with the child at her breast.  It was said to have been a very cold and frosty night.  Luckily the child was fine, but the Mayor accused Jane of being a bad wife.  Jane stated that she had been married 2 years and her husband was living at Ashover.  The Mayor asked her to go to Ashover with her husband, who he had heard was a “decent man”.  Jane agreed and the Mayor ended the case with “Go and be a good woman”.


*Wilfred Adlington to Sarah Hall at the Parish Church, Chesterfield.  Wilfred was a miner.
*At Chesterfield Union Workhouse –

·         William Lambert aged 54 years, 18th September

·         John Musgrove aged 64 years, 18th September

·         Hannah Marsh aged 64 years, 13th September

·         Michael Farrell aged 64 years, 12th September

·         Bertha Hall aged 38 years, 31st August

 *Cora Annie James aged 9 months, on 11th September at Pinxton.  Daughter of Sidney James.

*Jane Hattersley aged 82 years, on 18th September at Chastworth.

*Ellis Lettall aged 44 years, on 15th September at Whittington.

*Frederick Lee at the Gas Works, Wirksworth on 16th September.

*Elizabeth Ann Pearce aged 39 years died very suddenly at Compton Street on 16th September.


Athletics at Langwith –
The weather was fine for the sports held at Langwith Cricket Club on Monday 16th September.  The results were as follows –

*100 yards flat race, boys under 15 1) R Cook, New Houghton 2) J W Clarke, Clay Cross
*110 yards flat race, 1) S Morris, Rotherham 2) W Stevenson, Sutton
*1 mile flat race, 1) A Hydes, Walkley 2) F Bartlett, Warsop 3) J Colton, Langwith
*110 yards flat race, members of Langwith Cricket Club only, 10 F Jones 2) J Humphries 3) W Ord 4) T Mitchell
*440 yards flat race, 1) I Bedford, Hoyland 2) S Morris, Rotherham
*Potato race, 1) W Stocks, Langwith 2) – Brown 3) – Smith
*220 yards flat race, 1) J Shepherd, Hoyland 2) W H Carnall, Walkley
*Obstacle race, 1) J Shardlow, Clowne 2) – Smith, Sheffield
*High Jump, Langwith people only 1) G Duckmanton 2) J Blackburn
*Bowling at wicket, members only 1) L Wright
*110 yards boys flat race, under 10 years, 1) – Fox 2) – Comer


The EWING family in Chesterfield......
The character of Basil Ewing was highlighted in all its glory when letters were shown as evidence into the case of his ex-fiancé’s illegitimate son.  The case was heard for up keep of his baby son whose mother Rosetta (Kate) Foster had been wowed by Basil for many years previously.  Kate was employed at the Angel Hotel in Chesterfield and Basil was a corn factor on St Mary’s Gate.  The letters were kept by Kate and show how romantic Basil was, declaring his love for her and their engagement.  He often wrote telling her how much money he had made that day and how well his business was doing. That was however, until he wrote one night on 24th January 1895 “Kate, you might as well know now that I am engaged to and passionately love the girl at Clay Cross.  I have been there tonight and it is so late or should have written more.  Basil”.  Only months earlier the couple had written about her possibly being pregnant, he had assured her “Basil will not see you out on the street, not likely”.  The Bench eventually decided that Basil should pay 4s 6d per week until the child was 14 years of age.

No comments:

Post a Comment