Sunday, 19 May 2013

Echoes of our Past NEWS ........... 19th May 1900

Read all about it……. Echoes of our past NEWS

What was in the local news this weekend in 1900?


*School boy theft –

A poor young lad named Archibald Sims was made example of after he was caught red handed stealing eggs from a Mr Woodhead.

Mr Woodhead lived near to the school at Clowne and there was a boundary wall which separated him from the school.  This wall was next to his orchard and children being children it was a regular occurrence that they would climb the wall and steal his produce. 

On this day young Archibald aged 10 years old had stolen eggs and it was decided that the situation should be taken in hand and an example be set to warn off other mischievous children. 

Joseph Woodhead aged 17 years old told the Bench how he saw Archibald take one duck egg and two hen eggs valued at 4d.  When Joseph shouted after him he threw the hen eggs on the ground.

Archibald had no choice but to plead guilty.  He was fined 10s and warned “next time you’ll be ordered to have a good flogging”.

Archibald’s mother was in court, she told the Bench how poor Archibald had received a beating at school, in front of the whole school.  She didn’t think he needed to be punished any further.


*Ill treatment of wife and children –

Annie E Kirk of Chatsworth Road applied for a separation order after she had left her husband on the Sunday earlier.

She told the court how Richard Kirk was regularly cruel to her after he had been out drinking on a Saturday.  He would arrive home abusive and beat her and their children.  Richard was a fettler and earned roughly 35s per week.  It was said that he was a hard worker but the drink let him down.

The couple had four children; aged in between 13 years and 7 years old.

The court agreed the separation order and gave Annie custody of the children.  Richard was ordered to pay her 12s per week maintenance.

*Waiting for the doctor –

John Yarwood a Glossop man lost his patience after the doctor was unable to see a doctor on 16th May.

John had been admitted to Chesterfield Workhouse as a casual inmate.  Mr R J Barradell the Master told how John had asked to see a doctor as his feet “were very bad”.  He didn’t get his wish and was off to begin his work as he passed four windows in the infirmary ward.  He smashed each window, which each had 11 panes of glass.

When asked why he had done this he replied “I asked to see the doctor and they would not let me see him, so I broke the window that was how it was”.  The Chairman at the court asked if he thought be breaking the windows the doctor would appear, to which John replied “yes”.

John was found guilty of causing 22s 6d worth of damage.  He was sentenced to be gaoled at Derby for two months with hard labour.  His reply “I shall be able to see a doctor there”.

*Mother accused of assault –

Priscilla Thompson found herself in trouble after she was accused of assaulting Amelia Bates on Sheffield Road on 9th May.  Priscilla lived close by on Wharf Lane at Stonegravels.

Mrs Bates told the court how on the day in question Priscilla had firstly insulted her daughter then struck her.  She said that there was bad language used against them also by Priscilla.

Priscilla denied the assault but did admit to having asked the young girl Bates why she continually insulted her daughter. 

Witnesses were called, one being Mr Ben Stead who was a neighbour of Priscilla.  He told how he did hear “some very bad language” but did not see Priscilla strike Amelia.  A man named Mr Bradley who worked as a fried fish merchant was called and gave a good character to Amelia Bates who worked as an assistant for him.  He said that Amelia came into the shop after the assault in an “exhausted state” and said she had been assaulted by Priscilla.

Next to the stand was Lily Thompson, the daughter of Priscilla and the daughter whom it looks like she was protecting.  Lily said that she was with her mother at the time of the incident and that she had not assaulted Amelia.

Amelia argued that Lily was not with her mother at the time and so Ben Stead was recalled to cooborate either story.  He confirmed that Lily was not there at the time and that in fact Priscilla was with a man and that the pair was so drunk they “could hardly stand”.

After deliberation the jury found Priscilla guilty and she was fined 5s and costs or to be gaoled for 7 days.


*David John Davies of Abercorn to Sarah Ellen (Cissie) Mosley daughter of the late Robert Mosley of Wormhill at Ashford Parish Church on 14th May

*John Henry Smith to Mary Hannah Whitstone at Chesterfield Parish Church on 16th May


*Mary Marr aged at Victoria Street West on 17th May, widow of the late Edward Marr

*George William Lancaster aged 2 weeks on 10th May at Blackwell

*Nellie Fox aged 9 years on 11th May at Speedwell, Staveley

*Herbert Saxton aged 4 years on 11th May at Hackenthorpe

*Sarah Watts aged 75 years at Killamarsh on 13th May

*Annie Whitehead Winfield aged 5 years on 12th May at Ridgeway

*John Hewitt aged 62 years on 12th May at Staveley

*John Taylor aged 19 years on 13th May at Hasland

*Eliza Burkitt aged 31 years on 14th May at Whittington

*Ethel Booth aged 2 years on 15th May at Chesterfield


*Billiard Match –

An “interesting” match was played by the billiards teams for Darley Dale and Matlock Liberal Club.  The showdown took place at the Whitworth Institute, Darley Dale. 

The home players won the match scoring 706 points to 572. 


*Doncaster Races –

Great Central Railways were offering excursions to the races on 24th and 25th of May for the people of Chesterfield to enjoy the Doncaster Spring Races. 

The train would leave Chesterfield at 09.50am, Sheepbridge and Brimington at 09.55am, Staveley Works at 10.00am and finally Staveley Town at 10.04 am. 


No comments:

Post a Comment